OUR ROLEThe College's role as a health regulatory body is to assure the public an Optician is properly trained and will serve healthcare consumers ethically and competently within a defined standard of care.
The College provides the following services:
- Assessment, registration and licensing of all Licensed Opticians, Contact Lens Fitters, and Automated Refracting Licensed Opticians in BC.
- Set a standard of practice and code of ethics for Licensed Opticians in BC
- Provide a complaints resolution process for healthcare consumers who choose a Licensed Optician registered by the College
- Work with accredited teaching institutions to determine learning outcomes for students and setting entry-to-practice examination standards
- Provide a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process for applicants educated and trained internationally
- Provide public education on the importance of seeing a regulated professional